""

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Woodlawn Plantation Visit

They wouldn't let me take pics! I can totally understand why, however. There were some great original pieces, and as sad as it is, I can see someone taking a pic and ripping it off. :( So, I happily obliged, but WOW are you missing out on the great photos in my head right now! If you live locally (NOVA area), I recommend going if you can. Even if you don't see the needlework, it's a great historical area, and the artwork in the home is magnificent. Read more here: Woodlawn.

What a terrible photo! But you get the idea.

They had a room devoted entirely to Japanese embroidery, and I was captivated by it. The sheen of the silk, the texture, and the movement depicted in the designs was incredible. There was a lady there demonstrating, and I can tell you right now, there's no way am I attempting that. So gorgeous though!

And what's a visit to Woodlawn without a visit to In Stitches? I just love that store. SO many great things to look at. And today was just one of those perfect and crisp clear Spring days, and it made the leisurely shopping that much more enjoyable. I went with my mom and we spent the whole day together and it was really, really nice. I love to have some great quality time with my mom. She's an awesome lady. Smart, funny...hey, I know someone else like that. ;)

Here's what I came home with.

No, it's not you--those ARE craptastic photos. I was off my game today and it was dusk when I got home and I just couldn't seem to get a good photo, lol. Enjoy! I didn't get the latest and greatest designs, but these really appealed to me. I also ordered something, but even they didn't know who the designer was. It's a pretty little series of about 5 trees, one of them has beads. I'll let you know when I get it. I hope everyone is doing great, and I'll be catching up to all of you in the next day or so! Till next time,

14 comments:

  1. Woodlawn sounds like an awesome way to spend a day - I love touring those old homes. I had to laugh when I read the link though 'cause it said the guy (forgot his name already) moved in with his family and 60 cats! 60 Cats?! I think he'd need to renovate after living with that many cats.

    Great stash even if they aren't your best pictures, ever. They look fine to me though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures were fine--enough to get me drooling over the JBW designs basket, especially! I haven't made it to the needlework show and sadly, because of assignments for school, probably won't get to go, so I've enjoyed hearing about everyone else's trip there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I just looked at the Flickr album where they had all the first, second, and third placed winners. Such amazing talent and what a variety of needlework!

    I love getting out in wonderful weather and doing something you enjoy. How lovely that you got to share the day with your mother too. And a bit of stash buying caps it all off. Great choices and thanks for sharing your special day with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the opportunity to visit the Woodlawn show many years ago. Each year when I read how wonderful the show is I always feel a pang. Wish I loved closer.

    Sounds like a wonderful mother/daughter day. Great stash choices, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful place! So glad you had a nice day with your Mom. I love doing that too.
    Love all of your wonderful new stash! So great to see a post from you.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds wonderful and love all that stitchy stash

    ReplyDelete
  7. The picture looks good to me and enjoy your new stash.

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Before we moved to Florida, we lived in VA. Our first year in VA, I rushed to Woodlawn for a day - I loved seeing all the work displayed in such a lovely setting.
    Thanks for bringing back a wonderful memory for me.
    Your stash is just yummy - I love your choices! I look forward to watching your stash turning into finishes!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a wonderful place to visit, and great stash you got too. Loved the earlier one of Jolly Jack, I hadn't see that one, what a cutie. I got some new stash recently too, you'll want to check out the stand up witches hat one I found, it's sooo cute.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woodlawn seems tobe a very interesting place. I loved to read about the historical facts. Thanks for the link.
    Enjoy your new stash, it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please visit my blog, I have an award for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These embroidery will be very beautiful! Once ended

    Best regards of marylin France, and poussy and heloise

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just wanted to stop by and say hi, hope everything's ok and when you come back you have some lovely stitchy projects you've been working on to show off.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  14. How lovely to find another witchy Blog. I did so enjoy looking at all your lovely pictures and stitches.
    Blessings, Star
    http://awitchabroad.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much! I appreciate all stitchy comments!