""

Friday, May 8, 2015

Moon and Stars, Stash, and Thanks Mom!

I have a brief stitchy update. My last day of work for summer was this past week and now I can concentrate on getting some things worked on and finished. I've not gotten very far on my Moon and Stars by LHN.  And let me apologize now for the crappy photos.  My good DSLR camera is out for repairs.


I am enjoying working on it however! Such pretty colors in this one. Recently, I purchased an out of print chart from The Cottage Needle, on Etsy. It's called "Witch" and I do believe it's one of the very last charts that Lisa Roswell, of The Primitive Needle, created. I think of her often. I love this chart. Seriously, it fits me to a "T", right?


It came with some really pretty fabric too, but oh, what a small thread count on that linen. I may have to swap it out for something else.  I'm only soon to be 49, but my eyesight is NOT what it used to be. I broke down last year and got some magnifying glasses if you can believe that. I have no idea what's going on with that, but I don't like it. I miss my youthful vision. But I'll do whatever I have to in order to keep stitching, hence the magnifiers. Between that and the gray hair---well, that's a post best left to a later date.

With Mother's Day coming up, I want to thank my mom. I have so very many things to thank her for. She has always been there for me and my family, in far too many ways to tell in this blog post. She also introduced me to crafting when I was very young. She taught me to crochet, embroider, needlepoint, and indulged me in so many crafty endeavors. I loved getting drawing and coloring supplies, potholder kits, rug hooking kits, macrame, little leather sewing kits, beads, and so many other things. I was never at a loss for something creative to do. Not ever.

She also gave me the gift of reading enjoyment. She never censored or refused a book for me. When I was growing up, it was not uncommon for my mom, sister and I to head out to the drugstore at 9 or 10pm on a weekend night and scour the books and magazines (and makeup!). Gosh, we loved that. I was always an avid reader, and still am. My Nook is stuffed with books, as are my physical bookcases. I could spend an entire day in a bookstore and not bat an eyelash about it.

My mom also instilled in me what it means to BE a mother.  Raising my son, and having him in my life has been so wonderful.  I love being his mom.
  
For this and more---much much more, I thank you Mom! You are the best. Truly.

 

Until next time,

7 comments:

  1. I have also been stitching with a magnifier for many years now - I even can't remember the days when I had that youthful vision, lol.
    A great Witch design that you could buy. Looking forward to seeing your start on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great start on the LH piece.
    Love the Witch design!
    I often think of Lisa too, what a sad story.
    She had great designs.
    Have fun stitching it!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so sweet Tammy. I could say all those things about my mum too, although I don't have a sister. However our Mother's Day is in March so that's gone now and so is my mum, sadly.
    Thank you for all the links. I love to see what you're stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have made nice progress on your LHN design. I had to chuckle about you not batting an eyelash by spending all day in a book store. I wouldn't either unless it was to discover they had a cozy corner set up so one could alternate between reading and stitching.

    Wishing you a marvelous Mother's Day weekend!

    Robin in Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've made a great start!

    I've been enjoying a bit of a browse through your blog and you do some lovely stitching.

    I recently started a weekly Stitchery Link Party for all things hand embroidered, including cross-stitch and I would love to have you come link up your post so my readers can come visit too. http://www.supermomnocape.com/2015/05/11/vintage-embroidery-monday-stitchery-link-party-5/

    If you've never linked to a link party before, there's a short tute on my blog as well. I do hope you'll join in the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Tammy, what beautiful words you've said about your Mother. It's so lovely she passed her love of craft on to you so you can share it together.
    Your moon and stars piece is looking lovely! I like the witch piece, it is very you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've inspired me to stitch a bit this weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much! I appreciate all stitchy comments!