""

Tuesday, April 23, 2019

The Gentle Art Sampler Threads, Sable #110 comparison!

Well LOOKIE here.  I found a very old skein from 2007 that was in tact in a project I had kitted up. I knew I wasn't crazy.  Just look at the difference in the color of these two skeins. The old one is SO richly variegated, and the new has NO variegation whatsoever.



I gotta say, I was shocked! They are not even the same shade of brown at all. How does this happen? Does the original recipe get lost? Is someone falling down on the job? I just don't know. But at least I know I'm not losing it, and my eyesight has not completely failed me.

I have even noticed some big color differences in DMC over the years. I did a rant post on this some time last year. These big changes can really affect the outcome of  project. The designer spent so much time putting together these colors and when we can't count on the continuity of the floss colors, our stitching won't match the vision we had when we bought the project in the first place.  I know, realistically, there isn't anything we can do about it, but it is disappointing to have to scramble to find something similar to make the stitching work out.

Anyway, I thought someone might be interested in how these two compare! So beware when you are floss shopping!
 

9 comments:

  1. WOW! That is REALLY a big difference!
    The 1 on the right almost has some pink in it.
    I can see it being of just a little, but that's totally different color. It almost looks like WDW Sanguine. No variegation at all.
    Hope you find 1 that works for you.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely has a pink type hue! I am going to use the old one I found. That is obviously the same one the designer used.

      Delete
    2. I almost wonder if it was labeled wrong, it's SO different.
      You think the color might be off a little, but this isn't even close!
      Marilyn

      Delete
  2. This is my biggest gripe with the overdyed threads. GAST's Dried Thyme is another that has gone through major color regenerations. It is one of the reasons I prefer to have a DMC conversion listed, so you can pull the DMC and make any necessary tweaks especially if you are looking for the "original" color palette used. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm familiar with Dried Thyme, lol. I had to scrap it, and a whole project because I couldn't find a matching skein to finish the project!

      Delete
    2. I agree, I have 2 skeins, 1 is green, 1 is brown!
      Marilyn

      Delete
    3. Exactly my issue as well. Frustrating!

      Delete
  3. That certainly is a big difference in both the variegation and the color itself. When I buy overdyeds, sometimes I buy more than one just in case depending on what I think I may or may not use on a project. I have experienced having to buy a second skein only to find out it doesn't match the first skein.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much! I appreciate all stitchy comments!